When you’re trying to conceive, you might notice certain changes in your body or early signs of pregnancy such as:
- Missing your period
- Change in breasts (feelings of fullness, tenderness or tingling)
- Nausea and vomiting
If you want to know how to confirm pregnancy, you can use any of any of the 3 ways below.
Watch video on How to Confirm Pregnancy in 3 Reliable Ways:
1. Confirm Pregnancy Using a Home Pregnancy Test
Buy a home pregnancy test which is easy to use and fits your budget.
Home pregnancy test detects presence of the pregnancy hormone (called human Chorionic Gonadotrophin or hCG) in your urine.
Follow these simple steps to use home pregnancy test:
- Take the test 5-10 days after you miss your period. Collect the morning urine mid-stream in a clean container.
- Add the urine sample to the marked pit or absorbent tip using a dropper.
- Leave the pregnancy test undisturbed and check the result after the stated time. You can refer to the given instructions to interpret the results.
If you’re unable to interpret the test results, consult a gynecologist to confirm the results. Even a positive test result with slight spotting/bleeding should be checked by a doctor.
Refrain from indulging in homemade pregnancy tests like toothpaste pregnancy test which lack scientific evidence and aren’t medically recognised as methods to confirm pregnancy.
How to Confirm Pregnancy with Doctor’s Help
You can also visit a doctor to confirm your pregnancy. Doctors use two methods which not only confirm pregnancy but also give vital information and ensure a better outcome for you and your baby.
2. Blood Test for Pregnancy Hormone
Your doctor will advise a blood test that detects the level of the pregnancy hormone (hCG) in your body. Based on the blood test result, your doctor can give more accurate information about your pregnancy.
You may be asked to do a series of these blood tests to trace the level of hCG over a span of time.
3. Trans-vaginal Ultrasound Scan
A trans-vaginal ultrasound scan is done 6 – 7 weeks after missing your period. It confirms pregnancy and also gives valuable information like location, number and viability of pregnancy.
This method helps the doctor ensure a healthy outcome by identifying any cause of concerns early on.
This blog has been written with editorial inputs from Dr. Priti Arora Dhamija who has recently obtained Master Certification from Indian Fertility Society in topics like andrology and embryology. This enhances her skills in Assistive Reproductive Treatment (ART).
Dr Priti is a full-time salaried consultant at Sitaram Bhartia Hospital with no financial incentives for recommending unnecessary tests or procedures.
Dr Priti Arora Dhamija
- Star Rating: ★★★★★ based on 13 reviews
- Qualifications: MBBS, Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi (1999), M.D, Lady Hardinge Medical College (2004), DNB Obstetrics & Gynecology (2004), Diploma in Pelvic Endoscopy, Kiel, Germany (2014)
- Experience: 13 years
- Interests: Infertility and IVF, Pelvic Endoscopy
- Special qualities: Polite, helpful, friendly and calm.
Click to see Dr Priti’s profile
Dr. Priti Arora
“She is a wonderful doctor. Made me comfortable regarding my problem despite seeing me nervous, she ensured all my doubts are cleared to my complete satisfaction.” – Mamta Pangeni
Seek expert advice from our expert gynaecologist at our hospital located in South Delhi. Come in for an in-person consultation or book a tele-consult. Please call on +91 9871001458 to schedule your appointment.